Overseas Couples

Flowergirl with confetti

Chloe as a Flowergirl

I live 1 hour north of Sydney and am happy to conduct your service in Sydney or up on the beautiful Central Coast where I live.

If you are living outside Australia and would like to get married here,  we can easily create your vows and arrange your ceremony through emails, the postal service,telephone calls and Skype. When you do arrive in Australia, I will look forward to us meeting and if you wish we will have a ceremony rehearsal before your very special and important day.

If you choose to use me as your celebrant, you will need to confirm with me by email, a date, time and venue if you have chosen one. You will need to fill in a legal document called a Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM.) By Australian Law, I need to have received the (NOIM) form at least one calendar month before your wedding day, but no more than eighteen months before your proposed wedding date.

You can download and print a copy of the NOIM here and the NOIM must then be filled out and then signed in the presence of one of the following:

If a party signs the notice outside Australia –

  • an Australian Diplomatic Officer; or
  • an Australian Consular Officer; or
  • an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; or
  • an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; or
  • • a notary public.

To see a list of the Australian Embassies & Consulates visit http://www.dfat.gov.au/missions/(Please note that you will need to make an appointment to see Australian Consulate Officers.)

Once you have filled out the NOIM and had the NOIM witnessed, you will then need to email the scanned document  to me as soon as it has been witnessed.

Once emailed, please send the Notice of Intended Marriage form to me by registered mail together with certified copies of your proof of identity. (Original Birth Certificates preferred, please discuss this with me.)

I will also still need to see the original certificates when you get here, because, by Australian Law, I cannot marry you without seeing the original documents. So do not forget to bring them with you, or that would be a disaster.

Once the legal documentation is taken care of and you arrive in Australia, I will look forward to meeting you and if required, we can have a rehearsal.


You will be presented with a certificate to show that you are married. However, this in not the official registered certificate. Once I have completed the ceremony and whilst you are celebrating with family and friends, I come home to my office and register the marriage on line and then need to send all the documentation into NSW Births Deaths and Marriages (BDM). If we have organised it, the application for the official certificate will be included with the other documentation. The BDM will then send out your official certificate to the address that you nominate.



When you receive your official registered certificate, this will then allow you to change your name. However, some overseas governments  need proof that Australian documents, or the signatures of Australian officials on documents, are genuine before they will accept them. It is best that you check with your country of origin whether this is a requirement or not.  The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) will certify that a signature, stamp or seal on an official Australian document is genuine by checking it against a specimen held on file, and stamping the document with an authentication or apostille.

This is a legal process. DFAT will only issue stamps once satisfied that the signature, stamp or seal on a document is not fraudulent. Instances of attempted fraud in the past mean that DFAT needs to be cautious about issuing its stamp.

Australia is a signatory to The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirements of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents. This means that where your government requires proof that Australian documents are genuine before they will accept them,  DFAT will certify that official signatures, stamps or seals on a document are genuine by checking them against a specimen held on file, and stamping the document with an Apostille or Authentication. Please follow the link in the previous paragraph to see how this process works.

You will require the official registered copy of your marriage certificate for this purpose and a fee is payable to DFAT. As it may take a few weeks to receive your official registered certificate, the postal option on the website above is probably best.